When products are imported into our system, we store your data into an internal table we call your Product Catalog.
Import field mapping allows you to route your data fields from your source and merge files to the desired fields in the product catalog table.
When mapping your source fields to our system fields, you may notice there are two types of system fields; standard and custom.
Common system fields with set consistent names across all accounts in GoDataFeed.
- We auto map as many source fields to standard fields as we can
- This happens when a primary import source is first selected and whenever, if ever, it is changed
- Data scrub is always enabled - we always remove HTML and bad characters from standard fields
- Default data handling to ensure imported data is consistent across feeds
Sku Character Limit: 100 Name Character Limit: 1000 Tax Character Limit: 50 Url Character Limit: 500 ImageUrl Character Limit: 500 Brand Character Limit: 250 MPN Character Limit: 250 GTIN Character Limit: 50 ASIN Character Limit: 50 Category Character Limit: 500 Condition Character Limit: 50 Keywords Character Limit: 8000 ParentSku Character Limit: 100 Price Converts to 2 digit decimal type SalePrice Converts to 2 digit decimal type ShippingPrice Converts to 2 digit decimal type Weight Converts to 2 digit decimal type Quantity Converts to whole number
Standard fields are used for other functions, such as
- Join merge files to primary source
- The SKU field is used to join data from merge files with primary source data
- Mapping newly added feeds
- These standard fields are used to set your default mapping in newly added feeds. 'Sku' will be used as the equivalent feed field for sku. For example, after you add a Google Shopping feed, our system maps your sku to the Google 'id' field. Other fields that are auto-mapped will include title, description, prices, brand, and so on.
- Category mapping
- 'Category' will be used to suggest matching categories for the channel feed (Feeds > Feed Setup > Categories).
Additional system field to which you may map your source fields.
- We typically auto map new source fields to the next available custom field
- We only support up to 200 custom fields currently - if you reach the max, then please consider recycling unused fields to be mapped to more usefully one
- You may disable data scrub to bypass our system's process which removes rough characters and HTML
- Typically data type is set to text
These are the exact fields found in the primary source and any merge files.
- Most source fields are automatically mapped to system fields
- You may map additional source fields by typing the field name in text box
- A drop-down list appears with the available source fields
- You can map a source field to more than one system field, but the label must be unique, such as "description" and "description_unscrubbed".
Importing a specific source field
Many sources will import any additional fields found from the source automatically. However, some sources, like Magento, are configured in our system so that you must specify additional attributes for our system to import. This was done so that we do not import all attributes many of which may not be used in your feeds.
If you would like to import a new field from your shopping cart platform, follow the below steps:
- Copy the exact field name from your shopping cart platform
- Go to the Products > Mapping
- Paste the field into an available standard field or custom field under the Source fields section
- Click SAVE and RUN IMPORT
Optionally, you may add your own label for import fields to override the source field name.
The label will be used instead of the source field name wherever you are presented with the list of product fields, such as feed mapping, filters, and rule conditions.
Data Types are a classification identifying one of the various types of data, such as text, decimal, or integer, that determines the possible values for that type, the operations that can be done on values of that type, the meaning of the data, and the way values of that type can be stored.
Data Types in the GoDataFeed Mapping section include the following
- Text - free string of text of varying lengths (most often used)
- Integer - values cannot be null and default to 0 in the database if empty in the source field
- Decimal - used to store exact numeric values in the database e.g., money values.
- Date - not shown on the import mapping, but certain feed fields are classified as ‘date’
Be sure to only select data type Integer and Decimal where applicable. Using these types can cause an error if data contains non-numerical values.
Please sign in to leave a comment.