This article will show you how to configure and schedule your feed submission to Google Merchant Center.
Please note, we will show you how to submit a feed from GoDataFeed to Google's SFTP uploads method. If you prefer to use the Fetch method, please see the steps in our Submitting Feeds to Google Merchant Center via Feed Pull URL. The steps outlined in this article can also be found in Google.
Step 1: Create a new primary feed in Google
First, we need to create a feed record in Google so that Google knows which feed file to look for when we submit from GoDataFeed.
- Log into Google Merchant Center.
- Be sure the website is Claimed and Verified (see Business Information > Website).
- Click Products on the left-hand menu and then select 'Feeds'.
- Click the
button to add a new feed.
- Under the "Target countries" select the add button and select the countries where you want to show the products from this feed to and select Save. Please note some target countries have additional requirements.
- Once you save a Target country you will need to select the language of the content in your feed and select Continue to move forward.
- Select the destinations you would like to list your products to. Destinations let you select which Google products can display the items in your data feed. Typically most customers select all: available destinations and click 'Continue'.
- Enter the primary feed name (this is not the file name but simply how you describe the feed) i.e. "GoDataFeed".
- Choose how to set up your feed as 'Upload' and click 'Continue'.
- Enter the name of your feed file -- this is found in GoDataFeed > open your Google Shopping feed > click the 'Settings' page in the left side menu > enter the file name exactly as it appears in the 'General Settings' box at the top of the page. We recommend entering a file name without any spaces. Once you've entered the file name into Google Merchant Center, click 'Create feed'.
Step 2: Set feed default currency to US Dollar
- Back on the Google Merchant Center dashboard, click on 'Products' then 'Feeds' then click on the feed you just created and click on 'Settings'.
- Locate the 'Default currency' section > select your default currency from the dropdown > click 'Save'.
Step 3: Set up SFTP submissions to Google Merchant Center
- In Google Merchant Center, click the gear icon on the upper right-hand side of the screen for the Tools and settings. Then select "SFTP/FTP/GCS" to review your SFTP settings.
- On this page, make sure you are viewing SFTP settings like this:
- Keep this tab open, and navigate to GoDataFeed > open your Google Shopping feed > click the 'Settings' page > scroll down to the 'Feed Submission' section.
- Copy and paste the SFTP host address, SFTP User name, SFTP Password (Note: you may need to click 'Generate' or 'Reset' your password), and Port number from Google Merchant Center into the 'Feed Submission' box in GoDataFeed. You may need to expant the ADVANCED SETTINGS section to see the Port number option field. Security can be left as default.
See below for SFTP details:
Now, you are ready to schedule your submission and setup email alerts.
Step 4: Set the feed submission schedule and enable feed status email alerts
- On the right side of the 'Feed Submission' box is the submission 'Schedule'. Here you need to select a scheduled submission time > toggle it 'ON' > click 'Save'.
IMPORTANT: The submission schedule must be toggled 'ON' for the feed so it will automatically submit from GoDataFeed to Google Merchant Center at the time/days you configure.
- Scroll to the top of the Settings page to the 'General settings' box to choose which email alerts to receive and enter your email address. Note: we highly recommend receiving an email for Feed fails, if you want to receive emails with a summary of the feed totals including the feed validation warnings and errors, then enable Feed succeeds > click 'Save'.
Step 5: Manually submitting your feed to Google
Once you've set your feed submission parameters, and toggled your submission schedule ON within GoDataFeed, your feed will automatically submit at the time and days you configured.
However, if you need to submit the feed to Google immediately outside of the set submission times, you can manually submit the feed by clicking the 'Submit' button located here in the left side menu:
Step 6: Check feed processing in Google Merchant Center
Be sure to monitor the Processing tab in Google Merchant Center for your feed. Google will provide initial results for the feed submission.
In this example screenshot, the feed has 1 product with an error about invalid UPCs (GTIN).