Sections in this article
- What is a merge file?
- Using your provided GoDataFeed FTP folder
- Uploading and updating your merge file using FTP/SFTP
- Configuring your merge file settings in GoDataFeed
- When to use Stack Merge
- Review and verify your merged product data
What is a merge file?
Merge files – or supplemental data files – are secondary data sources that allow you to add additional products or product data attributes to your catalog without adding or modifying data in your store platform.
Please see this article for help creating a merge file: Merging supplemental files with your primary source upon import
Once you have created your data file and are ready to merge, you will need to host the file so our system may retrieve is either from FTP/SFTP or HTTP. Please note, you can also easily use a published Google Sheets CSV and merge using HTTP.
When importing a merge file from HTTP, you’ll be configuring GoDataFeed to pull the file the provided HTTP address.
Uploading and updating your merge file using HTTP
Once your file is ready to upload, you will need to host it at an http address. this can be done by publishing the file on Google Sheets, or getting a URL to the file from Dropbox, hosting the file on S3 or your website.
Configuring your merge file settings in GoDataFeed
- Go to Products > Merge files
- Create a new merge file using the plus button
- Select “HTTP” as the method
- Enter the “SKU merge field name” which is the column name for your unique identifier mapped to SKU seen on the Products > Mappings table
- Copy and paste the file URL into the “HTTP address” field in the source settings form
- Optional settings
- Enable stack merge - if enabled, product rows that cannot be merged will be appended at the end of the product catalog, this is not recommended unless desired, for example when you are combining multiple product files from suppliers. Please see When to use Stack Merge below for more information.
- Username & Password - leave these blank unless the HTTP address is protected
- Run the import to update your product data in GoDataFeed
When to use Stack Merge
If we cannot match a SKU from the merge file to a SKU in your source data, then we will append it to the end of your imported catalog and only the merge data will be available in GoDataFeed.
This might happen if a SKU is no longer being imported from your source data or if the merge file is using a different unique identifier than what is mapped to the system field 'SKU' in GoDataFeed.
We do not recommend enabling stack merge unless it is required for what you are trying to do with merge files, like if you are combining multiple product files from suppliers. If left enabled, appended rows of old SKUs may cause you to reach your product allotment max.
Review and verify your merged product data
Remember, you should download and review your product catalog after the import is complete (Products > Catalog, click “Download”) to make sure all of your data has merged as intended. You will also find the merge file fields (column names) are automatically mapped to the next available custom fields in the import mapping table (Products > Mapping).
Now, you should be able to use the data you have merged.
If you have any questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to reach out to our support team!