Merge files allow you to combine additional spreadsheets of product data with your product source. You may either have a separate spreadsheet of data you would like to make available to map in a feed or you may have multiple product files from different vendors and want to combine them upon import into GoDataFeed.
What Can Merge Files Be Used For?
A merge file is a secondary data source used to provide additional attributes, both required and optional, that may be missing from your primary source. Uses for merge files include:
- Add or override custom labels for campaign management
- Add or override promotion IDs for retail promotions
- Optimized versions of titles or descriptions
- Adding missing data like item specifics or additional attributes
- Exclude specific products using a column as a flag for filters
- Add missing GTINs
- Combining product data from multiple suppliers
- Add local inventory information for local inventory ads
- Add product data for specific countries and languages
Different methods to import merge files
In order to merge your source file with one or more consecutive files, please follow these steps:
- Host the file at an HTTP link
- Upload the file to an FTP/SFTP server
- Google Sheets using a publish link
Best practices and requirements
Each merge file must have a unique identifier attribute column like SKU, along with at least one additional column with the data that you would like to connect to a product in your source data
- Every row in merge file must have a value in the Unique ID field
- Unique ID values in both the primary source and any merge files must be unique
- Unique IDs should match the primary source, otherwise product rows will be stacked/appended at the end of the catalog with only the merge file data in our system
- The maximum fields you can import is 200 field max.
- This includes all fields from the primary source and any merge files. You may have more than 200 fields in your combined data, but our system will not be able to import all of them. Use the import mappings settings to determine which fields are imported.
- Download and review your product catalog after the import is complete
- Download the import data: Products > Catalog and select Download
- If needed, verify the import mappings and ensure we imported the correct merge file columns